all monsters and dust

4.10.05
dirrty

Thanks to the season premiere of Veronica Mars and subsequently to the internet, I have recently learned of the existence of a certain hand gesture known as The Shocker. You might know it by one of any of almost 100 different phrases, the most popular of which appears to be "Two in the pink, one in the stink" -- but my favourite is "Two in the flower, one in the mud." I did not know of it at all.

Other than the peculiarly Scottish "Gills" gesture, The Shocker is the only hand gesture on this list that I was not previously aware of. Since I kind of see it as my professional duty to keep up to date on the current slang, be it verbal or gestural, this, to me is a huge, shameful gap in my knowledge. Who dropped the ball on this one, people? Did you know about this and not tell me?

While most people's reactions to learning about The Shocker are something along the lines of "EWWWWW!", I am utterly fascinated and have a lot questions that I am having a hard time finding answers to. Where and when did The Shocker originate? How widespread is its use? When did it become widespread? Is its use associated with a particular age group? (This makes me feel old.) Do my friends and family know about The Shocker? I am trying to think of a way to phrase the question that will not make for a very awkward conversation... While I, personally, am not in any way offended by anal sex, (although, higher risk of STD transmission, you should be aware. /PSA) many people feel very uncomfortable discussing it. Which, I guess, is ultimately the root of my problem: the company I keep these days is too damn polite. That's right, bitches, I am calling you out!

Except not really. I love you. And I would never dream of asking you to change. Unless you are harboring some particularly offensive slang I don't know about. In which case: spit it out!

At least I've got Logan Echolls, the character on Veronica Mars, who, in the same episode as he used the shocker gesture, also spoke the line, "Can Dick and Beaver come out and play?" And he was only pretending to refer to the Casablancas boys. Really, he meant it in the dirty way. Veronica Mars is the best show on TV you are probably not watching. Shame on you. You can learn a lot from this show; I have.
 




about

"The mind of the thoroughly well informed [person] is a dreadful thing. It is like a bric-a-brac shop, all monsters and dust, and everything priced above its proper value."

archives

  • 07.03
  • 09.03
  • 10.03
  • 11.03
  • 12.03
  • 01.04
  • 02.04
  • 03.04
  • 04.04
  • 05.04
  • 06.04
  • 07.04
  • 08.04
  • 09.04
  • 10.04
  • 11.04
  • 12.04
  • 01.05
  • 02.05
  • 03.05
  • 04.05
  • 05.05
  • 06.05
  • 07.05
  • 08.05
  • 09.05
  • 10.05
  • 11.05
  • 12.05
  • 02.06
  • 04.06
  • 10.06
  • 11.06
  • 12.06
  • 02.07
  • 03.07
  • 04.07




  • credits

    webdesign by maystar
    powered by blogger
    quotation by oscar wilde



    original code and template by maystar designs copyright 2003