all monsters and dust

2.1.05
it's been a long december...

... and there's reason to believe
Maybe this year will be better than the last
I can't remember all the times I tried to tell my myself
To hold on to these moments as they pass...

Well, if the superstition that the way you spend New Year's predicts the way you will spend your year, then I will spend it hanging out with interesting, cool and open people, and eating good food, and playing fun games, and having stimulating conversations. (...And dancing to Beyonce.) Which, you know what? I hope is true.

Things are not looking so good for Phil, though, who started feeling sick right around midnight and then spent the next 24 hours puking. Oh well. If he spends '05 feeling sick, at least he will be surrounded by interesting and cool people, and people in the next room dancing to Beyonce. We are not sure whether it was food poisoning or the flu, but I am hoping it was food poisoning, because if it was the flu I will surely get it and I had the flu in 2004, dammit! 2005 is supposed to be a new and better year for me!

I can't remember how I spent last New Year's, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that I spent it feeling miserable and alone, because 1) that's how I spent most of the year; and 2) I'm pretty sure that is how I actually spent New Year's, now that I think it over. Not so much a shock that I wouldn't want to remember that.

I was going to write a sort of recap of 2004, but I am in a good mood right now, and that might ruin it. Because, man. 2004 was The Worst. I'm glad it's over and we can all use a symbolic fresh start to move on to new things. (I don't know how the hearing went 2 weeks ago, but I am praying that he pled guilty so there doesn't have to be a trial. I wish I could find out for sure, but it sort of hasn't come up in conversation recently -- "Speaking of Merry Christmas, do you know if the man who was responsible for the death of your best friend/girlfriend/daughter/sister pleaded guilty to reckless endangerment last week or not?" If there is no trial and no one has to testify, then at least we can close that chapter of the book. The book itself will never close, but at least we can get some chapters out of the way, know what I'm sayin'? Or does this metaphor suck as much as I think it does? Oh well, no time to edit, I am moving on to new and better things.)

The only thing I am sad about is that 4 is my favourite number and I won't get to write it all the time anymore. But, really, that doesn't weigh much on the scale compared to the number of things I am happy I won't have to live through again in 2005. I am trying to be really positive and proactive and making all kinds of plans and lists and things to look forward to accomplishing this year. I will probably write about 2004 later, for closure, because I think it might be a good kind of therapy, but for now: looking forward.

(My only other real regret is not taking that company flu shot. What a mistake that turned out to be. Unless... If I had the flu just a couple months ago, could I be immune to catching it again? Granted, I had the fever-chills-sore-throat-feel-disoriented flu, not the throwing-up flu, but, really, I think I gave enough of a sacrifice to the flu gods then for them to spare me this time around, right? The cosmos deserves to give me a little break from suffering in 2005, right? Right? I should probably go disinfect everything in my apartment that Phil touched, just in case.)

Happy New Year!


UPDATE! I just did a search and discovered that I ALSO had the stomach flu in 2004, almost exactly one year ago to this day! Wow, blogs are really great for storing inane information about one's life. But, good lord, enough with the flu already! My body should be churning out antibodies like crazy at this point. Damn you, mutating flu virus, damn you.
 




about

"The mind of the thoroughly well informed [person] is a dreadful thing. It is like a bric-a-brac shop, all monsters and dust, and everything priced above its proper value."

archives

  • 07.03
  • 09.03
  • 10.03
  • 11.03
  • 12.03
  • 01.04
  • 02.04
  • 03.04
  • 04.04
  • 05.04
  • 06.04
  • 07.04
  • 08.04
  • 09.04
  • 10.04
  • 11.04
  • 12.04
  • 01.05
  • 02.05
  • 03.05
  • 04.05
  • 05.05
  • 06.05
  • 07.05
  • 08.05
  • 09.05
  • 10.05
  • 11.05
  • 12.05
  • 02.06
  • 04.06
  • 10.06
  • 11.06
  • 12.06
  • 02.07
  • 03.07
  • 04.07




  • credits

    webdesign by maystar
    powered by blogger
    quotation by oscar wilde



    original code and template by maystar designs copyright 2003